Saturday, August 04, 2007

Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society "JAZZ CAMP"

Got up early this morning to meet the parents of one of my trumpet students. He has been up in Sacramento all week at the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society Youth Jazz Camp. Today was the final day of camp and they had a concert that started at noon and all the student bands performed three songs. I had one current student attend the camp this year on trumpet and a former student attend playing tuba.

Anyone that knows me well knows I love to perform but I get a tone of joy out of watching and hearing students perform as well. They all did a great job today. Each student group had to come up with a name for their band and some of the names were very funny. Here is a sample of the bands and songs from the program:

"The Key Of Awesome"
Bourbon Street Parade
When The Saints Come Marchin' In
Avalon

"Walk On Purple Ceilings"
Sweet Sue
Just Squeeze Me
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone

"The Band That 8 New York"
Hard-Hearted Hannah
Stormy Weather
Riverboat Shuffle

"One More Louder"
I've Got The World On A String
Memories Of You
High Society

The counselors band played the Theme to Star Trek traditional jazz style - I loved it.

Jazz is played from the Heart. You can even live by it. Always love it.
Satchmo (Louis Armstrong)

You can check out more on the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society "Jazz Camp" at http://www.sacjazz.org/

No comments: