Monday, August 27, 2007

INDIA Part 1

I was cleaning up my pictures folder on my HD tonight and found a folder of pictures I scanned from a several trips to India. So I thought I would post a couple of blogs of pictures from India so this is part 1 and part 2 will be up later this week when I have time to upload more.

Celebrant Orchestra 1997
Ox and Cart
Mumbai - Empty Cart
Loaded Cart
Auto Rick in need of repair
Streets of Mumbai
Calcutta - Rickshaw

Yep I'm driving the scooter -
which can be an interesting thing to
do in the traffic in India. But hey I
have always been a risk taker.

Mumbai, Train Station
A Beggar -
Well not really that is Shyla playing
a joke on Heather and scaring her as
she acted like a beggar outside the
train window at one of our stops.

Camel
This camel was tied up near the Taj Mahal
in Agra.

Agra
Semi-precious stones being inlaid into table top by hand. The table top is made of red sandstone.

Agra Fort

The Taj Mahal

Completed in 1653 A.D., the Taj Mahal was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as the final resting place for his favourite Queen, Mumtaz. Finished in marble, it is perhaps India's most fascinating and beautiful monument. This perfectly symmetrical monument took 22 years (1630-1652) of hard labour and 20,000 workers, masons and jewellers to build and is set amidst landscaped gardens. Built by the Persian architect, Ustad Isa, the Taj Mahal is on the bank of the Yamuna River. It can be observed like a mirage from the Agra Fort from where Emperor Shah Jahan stared at it, for the last eight years his life as a prisoner of his son Aurangzeb.


Team 1999 in front of the Taj Mahal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How brave of you to drive in India!