Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why Teach?

A friend once gave me a t-shirt with the saying "Three reasons to be a Teacher June, July and August" on the shirt for Christmas. But if you believe that is why most teachers go into the profession of eduction then you don't know much about teachers. Many educators teach summer school or take part time jobs during the summer to make ends meet. Others spend the summer taking classes themselves to earn needed professional development units for credentials.

Recently Readers Digest ran an article titled '13 Things Your Child's Teacher Won't Tell You' . Here are just a few of those things;

  • We’re sick of standardized testing and having to “teach to the test.”
  • Kids used to go out and play after school and resolve problems on their own. Now, with computers and TV, they lack the skills to communicate. They don’t know how to get past hurt feelings without telling the teacher and having her fix it.
  • Your child may be the center of your universe, but I have to share mine with 25 others.
  • Guys who dribble a ball for a couple of hours a game can make up to $20 million a year. We educate future leaders and make about $51,000 a year.

From my own personal experience;

  • I didn't go into teaching for the money.
  • The coolest thing is when you see that light go on in a kids eye, when he/she finally gets it and understands a new piece of material.
  • At their heart kids just want their parents attention. All the iPods, PSPs, Xboxs, etc will not make up for the personal contact of spending time with your son/daughter, talk with them, turn off the TV and family time every once in a while.

  • The school bell schedule may be 8:00 am - 2:50 pm but I arrive most days by 7:00 am and it is rare for me to leave before 5:00 pm. I work most weekends for at least a few hours so please don't tell me how I have such great work hours.
  • Very early in life I was taught the importance of reading by my mother. Read with your children every day for at least 15 minutes.
  • Lastly there are days I want to quit, but then that one smile from that one kid, changes it all.

No comments: