Sunday, January 24, 2010

Avatar

Avatar



I have been putting off going and seeing what many people have been saying is the current must see SciFi movie "Avatar". The movie by directed by James Cameron with new state of the art technology is a visual wonder. As a friend of mine says true 'eye candy'. I made sure I went to a movie theater that has digital projectors and was showing it in 3D. The special effects were amazing and I have no doubt it will be receiving many nominations and awards for effects and cinematography, which the film does deserve.

But this is were my enjoyment of the film stops. I found the 2 hours and 40 minutes to be way to long for the story. It could have been trimmed by at least 30 - 40 minutes and been a much tighter story. I felt like I was watching 'Dances with Wolves' in space. James Cameron was impressed with his new technology that he forgot the storyline.

James Horner wrote a great musical score to go with the movie. So the music is not a disappointment. It is just to bad the story did not live up to the music and visual end of the movie.

Just on visuals and music strength I would rate 'Avatar' 3 1/2 stars out of 5


No comments: