Sunday, February 14, 2010

Peace be with you

Peace

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27


What is this peace this peace that passes all understanding? Why is it that some people experience and others never seem to experience it?

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"
John 16:33



As part of the Mass they say this to each other "peace be with you and also with you" why? Again what is this peace thing really all about, why is it so important and how do we know that God really imparts it to us in times of need?

I experienced God's true Peace that passes all understanding the day my mother died. When I got up that day I had this feeling that I should call in sick and spend the day with my mother but as a music teacher at a Catholic school and the fact that we had a student mass that day I knew I need to be at school to lead the choir for mass that more so off to school I went. I don't remember anything about mass that morning. As soon as mass was over and I was walking back to the school I again had the feeling I should leave but I resisted the feeling and went on to teach my next class. Well before that class was over I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to the rehab center that my mother was at as soon as possible. The school canceled the rest of my classes that day and off I went.


When I arrived the nurse said there was not much they could do the doctor had been called but it was only a matter of time my mother was dying. While yes I was sad because here I was about to lose my mother at the same time it was like I was being held up by some invisible force. It is hard to put into exact words but I can say without a doubt that it must have been that
Peace that passes all understand. I don't think anyone can fully describe it unless they have experienced.

When my dad was killed I did not believe in God I mean I had gone to church off and on for many years. But it was all head knowledge not heart knowledge. My fathers death almost lead to my own death. I'm lucky I did not kill anyone else in the path of my destructive ways. But thankfully I had some very good friends that prayed for many years for me and I finally woke and opened my heart. The reward is Eternity - the peace well that is just one of the major bonuses.


So in closes let me just say to

"Peace be with you"



No comments: