Saturday, December 08, 2007

Tagged...

Visalia Christmas Parade - Tag
Last Monday we went to Visalia for the "Candycane Lane Parade" with the middle school band.
While the band was marching down Main Street and the bus drivers were out watching the parade our bus was tagged by some local gang member. Fortunately they used a black marker (maybe a sharpie) to tag the bus and the bus garage was able to remove the tagged material the next day.
It is events like this that start to make one think how safe our the streets for our kids? Do I want to keep living and teaching here or is it time to look into moving some place else?


Has the gang problem really gotten out of control? - At times it sure feels that way.
Are all gang kids trouble makers and worthless? - To this I can definitely say NO - Just last night we had our local Christmas parade and after wards I ran into a former student that is a member of one of the local gangs. We talked for a few minutes during which I reminded him that he is a bright young man and needs to make good choices in life because he has great potential. Before he walked off he stopped and gave me a hug and said Thanks.
I don't completely understand the gang culture. It just breaks my heart that some really great, smart students end up throwing away their lives because of gang involvement. I wish had a way to help get more of these students out of this destructive pattern. Some of these kids could be such an asset to society, they are not all just worthless thugs.


No comments: